Nowadays hunger strikes appear to be fashion for politicians. Some people may feel 'hunger strike' is an easy route to become identified and famed. However, late Potti Sriramulu's fast-unto-death hunger strike should be a lesson for every politician or celebrity who goes for hunger strikes for personal causes and benefits. Checkout the following how Potti Sriramulu was genuine at his hunger strike.
* On 19th of October, 1952 Potti Sriramulu undertook hunger strike demanding a statehood for Telugu speaking people from Madras Presidency.
* Unlike today's politicians, he did not take the help of media to be focused and elevated.
* He was not backed by any political party for his hunger strike unlike today's politicians.
* The hunger strikes of present generation's politicians are lasted for 4 to 7 days. Later, they are arrested and hospitalized. They are injected fluids as well. Everything appears to be artificial and honesty is seen nowhere else.
* Unlike today's politicians Potti Sriramulu kept caste factors aside in his sincere hunger strike.
* Finally, Potti Sriramulu breathed his last on 15 December, 1952 after observing hunger strike for 58 days. His demise was followed by rioting and turmoil everywhere. Finally, then PM Nehru announced a separate Andhra state would be formed.
** Instead of craving for publicity, our politicians and celebrities should take up agitations sincerely getting the inspiration from Potti Sriramulu.