Advertisement

PCC chief appoints party panel to study paddy procurement

Sat 16th Oct 2010 08:08 AM
PCC chief appoints party panel to study paddy procurement
PCC chief appoints party panel to study paddy procurement

In the wake of the reluctance expressed by of rice millers to procure paddy from farmers directly for this Kharif season, Pradesh Congress Committee president D Srinivas on Saturday convened a meeting with representatives of farmers, rice millers and Kisan Cell members at the Gandhi Bhavan to find solutions to the issue.

Talking to media persons later, Mr Srinivas revealed that the PCC would appoint a committee with representatives from farmers, rice millers and members of the Kisan Cell by October 23 to study the issues on paddy procurement. The recommendations by the committee would be submitted to Chief Minister.

Advertisement

Mr Srinivas said the government would look into rice millers problems and take a favorable decision.

He said the committee would also study how much quantity of the foodgrains was stored in the warehouses and submit its report. He also urged to Centre to cooperate with state government in allotting space for storing grains in warehouses.

The PCC chief stated the rice millers felt it would be better for the government to procure paddy from the farmers directly and give it to the millers for milling.

As per the government norms, the millers are bound to set apart 75 per cent of the produce procured from the farmers as levy. In the remaining 25 per cent, two thirds shall be sold within the State while one third of the produce is allowed for exports.