'Bheeshma' is the first mookie film of tollywood released in the year, 1923. However, 'Bhaktha Prahlada' is considered to be the first talkie film in Telugu film history. Till some days ago, the movie was thought to have been released on 15th September,1931. However, in a recent study, it has been evident that the movie got censored on 22nd January,1932 and was released on 6th February, 1932. Let us go through the details of the movie.
* The movie was directed by HM Reddy and CSR Anjaneyulu while it was produced by HM Reddy on Krishna Movies.
* Padmanabha Shastri composed the background score. Camera was handled by Govardhanabhai Patel. Kesavadasu was the lyricist.
* The protagonist Prahlada role was played by Master Krishna Rao( first Telugu hero) while Hiranyakasipa( first villain of tollywood) role was played by Munipalle Subbiah. Surabhi Kamala Bhai played the role of Leelavathi.
* LV Prasad, who played the role of 'Moddhabbai', also acted in the first Hindi talkie 'Alam Ara'( 1931) and the first Tamil talkie 'Kalidas'( 1931). He later produced and directed many films in tollywood.
* The movie was first released in Bombay and ran there for two weeks. Later, it was released in Sri Maruthi Talkies of Vijayawada and Sri Krishna Theater of Rajahmundry.
* The movie was reportedly made with a budget of Rs.18,000 and collected an all time record share( because there was no movie earlier) of Rs.25,000( estimation).
* The movie ran more than 10 months in Secunderabad.
* 'Bhaktha Prahlada' is the first industry hit of tollywood.